03 Oktober 2010

My job at Bühler (India) Pvt Ltd

On working days I am picked up by a company minibus which brings employees to the Bühler facilities in Attibele. For those who are interested in transportation: the minibus is an Indian make "Force Motors Traveller" which is nothing else than a old Mercedes Benz Tempo Traveller still produced under license in India. The condition of this vehicle is ok; but even banal safety measurements such as seat-belts are looked for in vain.


Attibele is an industrial outskirt of Bangalore which lies only 16 km (air-line distance) away from the Guesthouse. One could think that these 16 km shouldn't be much of a problem. They are, I can assure you! If we are lucky the journey won't take more than 45 minutes; often traffic is so bad that our driver - whom I admire for his driving skills and his fearlessness... - needs to make a detour or we will get stuck in traffic jams which can easily double the traveling time. At first I liked the journey a lot: it is very adventurous, you get a good overview and it enables you to watch the various goings-on in the town. After two weeks of bumpy and sometimes scaring rides, I would definitely prefer having a shorter journey, though.

I have given you a short description of my job profile in the welcome post. Most of the time I am working together with an Indian food scientist in the brand new lab. Generally spoken, the lab is equipped with very good analytical instruments which were recently acquired; some small commodities are still missing though. If you would like some more information about my job, please contact me personally.

To make things short: there are challenges ahead of me and working in India can be tricky. The flair for precision and perfection which Swiss people normally have can be an obstacle from time to time. But this comes as no surprise!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen