18 Oktober 2010

Trekking in Coorg

Last week I was asked by on of my R&D colleagues to join him and his friends for a trekking in Coorg, an area in south western Karnataka close to the border to Kerala. I was glad to escape the megapolis Bangalore for a weekend, get to known the Indian countryside and do some sports. Hence it is again time to update you with some photos!

We left Bangalore on Friday at midnight and arrived in Coorg after a journey of six hours. Coorg is well known for its rugged mountain terrain, coffee plantations, dense forest or rice fields and is said to be one of the most beautiful areas in South India. In Virajpet we had some breakfast and I roamed here and there to take some snapshots.





Later, our driver bought us to the accommodation. His driving skills are quite remarkable as the paths were very steep, narrow and bumpy.


The cottage that we rented was extremely simple; shelter is probably a more appropriate expression. There were only two small rooms for 13 people, no toilet, no pillows, not much cleaning was done but there was running water at least. Having worked for 4 weeks in the laboratory - where the tap water is not working most of the time - I really appreciate running water! At nighttime temperatures significantly dropped. I didn't expect it to be that bad nor to sleep on the rough stone floor; as a consequence I was feeling cold for the first time in India.



The group I joined consisted of Indian bachelors whose first aim was to get drunk; this definition of trekking didn't suit my standards at all. Furthermore it was difficult to play a part in this group of people as they mostly talked in their mother tongue Kannada (the language of the state Karnataka). But fortunately I was there with my colleague Vadivelan with whom I work in the Bühler laboratory. We had a good time together and enjoyed a nice hiking tour to mount Tadiandamol, with an altitude of only 1748 m the highest peak in Karnataka. The weather in this area changes very fast: we witnessed sunshine, deep fog as well as heavy rain in less than five hours! The scenery looks stunning in all weather conditions, though. Leeches were the only problem we were facing on our trekking. These animals are very widespread in wet areas; they are masters in finding a way through trousers, socks or even shoes to penetrate your skin and soak blood. I fortunately got away with a single bite.





We got home and had dinner. It was the second or third time rice and sauces were eaten without spoon or fork; banana leaves were used instead of plates. The spicy rice which was served for breakfast was as well eaten by hands. Directly touching the food with the (right) hand is very common but still feels strange to me. But I am learning fast especially if I am hungry...

Before we left the place on Sunday morning I could take some pictures in perfect light conditions.



On our way back to Bangalore we endured bumpy roads, enjoyed the countryside, saw coffee plantations, large fields of paddy rice (which was especially interesting for me and my work at Bühler), listened to Hindi songs, slept etc.






Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen