16 Januar 2011

Authentic Indian haircut

Getting one's hair cut at a foreign hairdresser is inevitable when being abroad for such a long time. In India, this is not especially difficult as every area has plenty of hairdressers for every kind of budget. There are basically three options to choose from: 

1. The luxurious way: posh saloons which try to imitate European establishments. At 200 to 300 Rupees per haircut (about 4.50 to 6.50 CHF), the prices are very moderate for our standards but naturally exceed most of the Indian budgets.

2. The middle and lower class way: a lot of small, simple and sometimes dingy barbershops offer their service for about 30 Rupees (0.65 CHF); they are very popular and respectively well frequented.

3. The lowest class way: some barbers offer their service directly at the roadside for probably as less as the price of a chewing gum.

So far I opted for solution nr. 1. I have to admit, though, that the haircuts of my colleagues who normally choose option nr. 2 are really good. And this - apart from the "adventurous" urge - made me trying it out myself! Some days back I went for a walk in my neighbourhood and stopped over in one of these barber shops. The experience was priceless: even though I interrupted the hairdresser in the middle of a TV-movie he concentrated on my hair (most of the time...) and he was extremely friendly and most happy to have a foreign customer. Needless to say that the result looks very presentable and I like it much better compared to the much more expensive haircuts I've got in other places. I will certainly stop over in this barbershop again before I leave India in two weeks.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen