14 Januar 2011

Transportation in India 3

A long time back in October I tried to introduce you to the Indian traffic "system" which is probably impossible to put in words. Lately, I have found some illustrative youtube-movies which I don't want to keep from you.

Rush hour in Bangalore - this is what I go through day in and day out:

Another pretty normal scene in Bangalore:

A typical downtown street view scene:

Especially rural roads are problematic and probably the most unsafe terrain to be on:

My Indian colleagues keep telling me how safe Indian roads are or how attentively Indian drivers behave and according to them only few fatal accidents occur. Unfortunately, all the road safety statistics are against my colleagues and what they are telling is one big (bad) joke! Statistics such as the WHO Global Status Report on Road Safety present a totally different view: in India, more people die in road accidents than anywhere else in the world, including the more populous China. According to the National Crime Records Bureau at least 13 people die every hour in road accidents in India - a hair-rising number in my opinion! For further information please refer to this informative Times of India article.

Unfortunately the trends in road traffic deaths are not promising either 
(source: Global Status Report on Road Safety - Time For Action, WHO, 2009)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen